Everyone knows some facts about the human body, such as the heart pumps blood or we only use a small percentage of our brain. However, there are several things you probably didn’t know. Learn about some of the weirdest facts about the human body.
- The human heart is mostly muscle. In fact, the heart is so strong that it could lift about 3,000 pounds… approximately the weight of a compact car.
- Despite many people suffering fractures, bones are about 4 times stronger than concrete.
- Facial hair grows quicker during spring because of variations in hormone production.
- The amount of fat in the average American’s body is enough to make 7 bars of soap.
- The tooth is the only body part that is unable to repair itself.
- Those who have wet earwax have smellier armpits than those who have dry earwax.
- If you rub garlic into the soles of your feet, the odor can eventually be detected in your breath.
- Coughing releases an explosion of air that has been measured at speeds up to 60 mph.
- We shed skin on a regular basis. By the end of our lives, each human being will shed about 40 pounds of skin.
- Fingerprints are not just for identification… they provide traction so we can hold on to things.
- Your lungs are not the same size. The left lung is smaller, which makes room for the heart in the chest cavity.
- French physician Rene Laennec invented the stethoscope. The reason? He felt it was inappropriate to put his ear on the chest of well-endowed women.
- Eyelashes only last about 150 days.
The human body has hundreds, perhaps thousands of amazing and strange facts. Even though a lot is known about the human body, there are several things that remain a mystery. As medical and scientific research and advances are made, new facts are sure to be discovered.